Monday, May 19, 2008

Welcome to my (pf) life

When I decided it would be fun to start a personal finance blog, I mentioned it to Spender, and he thought it would be a great idea. I was excited about doing something together, and thought it would be a little different than the blogs that are out that. Spender has expressed his desire to get more serious about personal finances, and thought this would be a good way to go about it.

I set up a pretty basic blog, gave us each usernames and everything, and wrote my first post. Everthing is good! We have this idea that we'll try to alternate posts, so I encourage Spender to write an introductory post. He keeps saying he will...but it's now been about a month. His main explanation is, "I dont know what to write."

So I'm making the executive decision that I will try to post regularly, and he can post however often (or not) he wants to. It's a little less joint blog, a little more my blog with some input from him. Not really a big deal, because I'm the one that wanted the blog in the first place.

The thing is, this is so totally representative of how we run our finances. I get excited about doing things like sitting down and making a joint budget or figuring out savings goals. Spender listens to me, gives a bit of input, and then goes on his way. His main explanation is, "I don't know what we should do." He doesn't always do the things we talk about (like open a ING account) and goes back to his not-focused-on-responsible-personal-finance ways. It's not really fun to be left as the one who has to be in charge of everything, but the alternative is for nobody to be in charge.

So I will take the lead, post whether or not Spender does, and see if reading all this in print will encourage Spender to change his ways.

No comments: